Sunday, April 18, 2010

Just the Two of Us


After Sarah left and before my in-laws arrived, I had a few days with Sophie all by myself. At first I was relieved by how content Sophie was. Here she is, fascinated by the plaid pattern on the side of the pack and play. She stares at that pattern for at least 10 minutes. However, shortly afterward Sophie had a meltdown.


Fortunately I discovered that taking walks around the neighborhood settle her down. She screams when I put her in the stroller and continues until I get a few feet down the driveway then she's fast asleep.

Sophie also uses the swing but she has to be calm when I put her in it in order to enjoy the experience. Her calm moments had been few and far the days I was caring for her by myself. Sophie was really uncomfortable as a result of constipation and gas issues. The pediatrician suggested giving her dark karo syrup and using a rectal thermometer to get things going. Brian delegated that job to me. I don't know what torture is worse: the wet washcloth or the rectal thermometer. Anyway, boy did it do the trick!

The gas issues have been more difficult to manage. We've tried mylicon which did not really work, but gripe water has been moderately successful. On the positive front, Sophie learned the difference between day and night. It seems like she's developing a schedule at night where she eats around 9, 11:30, 2 and between 4 and 5. This schedule is tiring but not exhausting. Thankfully my mom and Sarah were around for the pre-schedule period. Thanks you guys- I couldn't have done it without you.

Here's an older picture of Sophie that I really like.


2 comments:

  1. Katie, You are doing such a good job. You are very fortunate to have such nice weather to be able to take Sophie for walks. It is good for both of you. You are also fortunate that Brian is such a big help.

    It does get easier the older Sophie gets. So, hang in there and remember, I am always here for you. I love you very much. Thanks for updating the blog, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos, Kate! Looks like Sophie is progressing nicly You make a great Mom! Keep up the good work. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete