So when we first got pregnant, Katie and I loaded up on books as many expectant first time parents do. The first book I read was "The Baby Whisperer" by Tracy Hogg. After reading several other books it's still the one I seemed to enjoy the most. Having read it though I started calling myself the baby whisperer, which was further perpetuated by the fact that whenever Sophie was moving in Katie's belly I would put my hand on to feel and Sophie would stop moving. How things have changed.
It turns out Sophie sleeps very well during the day. Too well. So we have to wake her up every 2-3 hours for feeding. You always hear these stories of babies not going to sleep, and we've had those moments with Sophie, but there's something noble about trying to soothe a crying baby.
Trying to wake a sleeping baby is truly distasteful. Here is this precious little girl sleeping away and I have to jostle her, rub her, tickle her, and pat her feet until she wakes up. I take strong issue with all the baby books I've read that suggest "patting their back and talking to them" to wake them up. Totally ineffective. Maybe Sophie is a heavy sleeper, but a few times I've had to resort to the nuclear option of the wet washcloth. A part of my heart hardens every time I've had to do that.
To make matters worse, there is a fine line between an awake baby ready to eat, and a truly annoyed baby that wants to let you know about her displeasure. I've been thinking a lot about this post and looking forward to it. It feels like I'm confessing my sins, and clearing my conscience. As your reward for listening to my confession, here is a picture of a bright eyed Sophie. Her eyes are currently blue, like a lot of babies. It tends to change as they get older, so we'll see.
Sounds like you are already finding out that parenting is not for the weak. You and Katie are doing a great job.
ReplyDelete